The Guide to Powerlifting Workout for Women
The sport of powerlifting is all about strength and development of muscles that is much more than just picking up heavy things. If you’re a beginner, we’ve prepared and created a complete powerlifting guide for you. In our guide, we’ve focused on the big three lifts: squats, deadlift and bench.
5×5 Beginner Powerlifting Guide
Follow this beginner guide to start building real strength in the big lifts.
MondayBack Squat: 5 sets x 5 reps
Begin with a moderate weight and then add between 5 and 10 pounds to the weight weekly.
Front Squat: 3 sets x 10 reps
Once again, begin at a moderate weight and add around 5 - 10 pounds weekly. This step would focus more on the quads to support your back.
Banded Bridges: 3 sets x 12 reps
Wrap a resistance band around the knees to work the glutes. This and the banded clams activates and strengthen the glutes, which often grow weaker if you spend a lot of time sitting.
Banded Clams: 3 sets x 10 reps
Wrap a band around your knees and level up the resistance as you look to move forward.
Calf Raises: 3 x 10 reps
Lower the weight gradually for maximum effect.
WednesdayBench Press: 5 sets x 5 reps
Don’t grip the bar too tightly and control both the ascent and descent to maximize muscle growth.
Bench Press: 6 reps x 3 sets
- Put more strain using your triceps to support your main lift.
- Dumbbell Bench Press: 3 sets x 8 reps
- This lift isolates your arms, highlights and works on stabilizing weakness on either side.
- Dumbbell Side Raises: 12 reps x 4 sets
- Strong shoulders are required to be build to perform a powerful bench press.
- Deadlift: 5 sets x 5 reps
- Begin with a moderate weight, but ensure it’s challenging.
- Back Extensions: 4 sets x 10 reps
- Up your weight every week where possible.
- Upright Row: 3 sets x 10 reps
This exercise is important for your upper back body muscles growth to support your deadlift.
Dumbbell Bicep Curl: 4 sets of 8 reps each arm
To build strength in the bicep, try to use a dumbbell and take each movement slowly. This guide’s simplicity and effectiveness makes it ideal for women. As long as you continue to challenge yourself, eat enough protein and commit yourself to this guide, this workout plan will get you great results.